DCS data available on MSC GeoMet
MSC GeoMet-Climate provides access to data and products of statistically downscaled climate scenarios datasets (DCS). Users can build mobile apps, create interactive web maps, and display and animate climate data layers in desktop software.
Access to the geospatial web services
The DCS data is available
- on GeoMet-Climate via the Web Map Service (WMS) and Web Coverage Service (WCS) standards.
- on the GeoMet-OGC-API geospatial web services:
- DCS - Projected annual
- DCS - Projected seasonal
- DCS - Projected monthly
- DCS - Projected annual anomaly
- DCS - Projected seasonal anomaly
- DCS - Projected annual anomaly for 20 years average
- DCS - Projected seasonal anomaly for 20 years average
- DCS - Historical annual
- DCS - Historical seasonal
- DCS - Historical monthly
- DCS - Historical annual anomaly
- DCS - Historical seasonal anomaly
Example of a web map configured to display the DCS.PR.RCP26.YEAR.2021-2040_PCTL50 layer served by MSC GeoMet:
The usage overview page provides generic information on using OGC services with desktop software, mobile apps, interactive web maps and direct access. Please refer to the tutorials and technical documentation for MSC GeoMet geospatial web services for detailed information.
To see which DCS layers are served via MSC GeoMet consult the service's WMS GetCapabilities document.
Desktop GIS software such as QGIS also makes it easy to navigate the WMS Get Capabilities document as a layer tree.
Retrieving the available model runs and forecast hours available for a given DCS layer:
- Users can use the
layerquery parameter in WMS GetCapabilities requests to point to a specific layer and retrieve a smaller XML payload with up-to-date temporal dimensions (see the
<Dimension>tags). Example: https://geo.weather.gc.ca/geomet-climate?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities&layer=DCS.PR.RCP26.YEAR.2021-2040_PCTL50
- Additional information is available in the handling time with WMS section
- In addition to the default WMS style, several alternative WMS styles with different color scales are available. The list of available WMS styles is provided in the WMS GetCapabilities response.
- Furthermore, users can request layers with their own custom styles with the Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD) standard, please refer to the SLD technical documentation.
- Legends are available for every WMS style. Details are provided in the WMS legend technical documentation.
- Example of retrieving a layer's legend via a GetLegendGraphic request: https://geo.weather.gc.ca/geomet-climate?version=1.3.0&service=WMS&request=GetLegendGraphic&sld_version=1.1.0&layer=DCS.PR.RCP26.YEAR.2021-2040_PCTL50&format=image/png&STYLE=PRECIP-ANOMALY.
The MSC GeoMet services are operational 24/7. User support is provided on a best-effort basis during normal business hours. If you have any questions about these services, please contact us.
Announcement mailing list
We encourage users to subscribe to the GeoMet-Info announcement mailing list to be informed of enhancements and changes to the MSC GeoMet services.