GDPS data available on MSC GeoMet
MSC GeoMet provides access to data produced by the Global Deterministic Prediction System (GDPS) model. Users can build mobile apps, create interactive web maps, and display and animate weather radar layers in desktop software.
Access to the geospatial web services
Example of a web map configured to display the GDPS.DIAG_NW_PT1H layer served by MSC GeoMet:
The usage overview page provides generic information on using OGC services with desktop software, mobile apps, interactive web maps and direct access. Please refer to the tutorials and technical documentation on MSC GeoMet geospatial web services for detailed information.
To see which GDPS layers are served via MSC GeoMet, consult the service's WMS GetCapabilities document.
Desktop GIS software such as QGIS also makes it easy to navigate the WMS GetCapabilities document as a layer tree.
Retrieving the available model runs and forecast hours available for a given GDPS layer:
- Users can use the
layerquery parameter in WMS GetCapabilities requests to point to a specific layer and retrieve a smaller XML payload with up-to-date temporal dimensions (see the
<Dimension>tags). Example: https://geo.weather.gc.ca/geomet?service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetCapabilities&layer=GDPS.DIAG_NW_PT1H
- Additional information is available in the handling time with WMS section
- In addition to the default WMS style, several alternative WMS styles with different color scales are available. The list of available WMS styles is provided in the WMS GetCapabilities response.
- Furthermore, users can request layers with their own custom styles with the Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD) standard, please refer to the SLD technical documentation.
- Legends are available for every WMS style. Details are provided in the WMS legend technical documentation.
- Example of retrieving a layer's legend via a GetLegendGraphic request: https://geo.weather.gc.ca/geomet?version=1.3.0&service=WMS&request=GetLegendGraphic&sld_version=1.1.0&layer=GDPS.DIAG_NW_PT1H&format=image/png&STYLE=SIGPRECIPITATIONTYPE.
The MSC GeoMet services are operational 24/7. User support is provided on a best-effort basis during normal business hours. If you have any questions about these services, please contact us.
Announcement mailing list
We encourage users to subscribe to the GeoMet-Info announcement mailing list to be informed of enhancements and changes to the MSC GeoMet services.