High Resolution Deterministic Precipitation Analysis (HRDPA) Data in GRIB2 Format
This page describes the High Resolution Deterministic Precipitation Analysis data available in GRIB2 format.
MSC Datamart data can be automatically retrieved with the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) as soon as they become available. An overview and examples to access and use the Meteorological Service of Canada's open data is also available.
The data is available using the HTTPS protocol and resides in a directory that is plainly accessible to a web browser. Visiting that directory with an interactive browser will yield a raw listing of links, each link being a downloadable GRIB2 file.
The data can be accessed at the following URLs :
- polar_stereographic : Grid projection
- HH : Accumulation period in hours: 06 or 24
A history of 30 days is maintained in this directory.
Table lists the values of parameters of the polar-stereographic grid.
|resolution at 60° N||2.5 km|
|coordinates of the first grid point||42.2504° N 131.0928° W|
|grid orientation (with respect to j axis)||-115.0°|
File name nomenclature
NOTE : ALL HOURS ARE IN UTC.
The files have the following nomenclature:
- CMC : Data is produced by the Canadian Meteorological Centre (Constant string)
- HRDPA : High Resolution Deterministic Precipitation Analysis (Constant string)
- APCP : Analysis of Precipitation (Constant string)
- TotalPrecipAmountPeriod : Total precipitation amount over a period of time in number of hours (006 or 024)
- HHMMcutoff : Observation cuttoff time in number of hours and minutes after valid time. (0100cutoff or 0700cutoff)
- SFC_0 : Level type is Surface and level value is 0 (Constant string)
- ps2.5km : Projection type is Polar-Stereographic and the resolution is 2.5 km (Constant string)
- YYYYMMDDHH : Analysis valid time in UTC. YYYY=Year, MM=Month, DD=Day, HH=Hour (ex: 2018020912)
- 000 : The projection time in number of hours. Always 000 for an analysis product (Constant string)
This file originates from the Canadian Meteorological Center (CMC) and contains data of the High Resolution Deterministic Precipitation Analysis (HRDPA). This is a precipitation analysis (APCP) of 6 hour amounts (006) where the accumulation period goes from 2018020906 to 2018020912. It is considered preliminary because observations have been collected up to 2018020913, which is 1 hour after valid time (0100cutoff). The data is on a polar-stereographic grid at a resolution of 2.5 km (ps2.5km). The valid time of the analysis is 2018020912_000 and the suffix _000 means that the projection time in the future is null, which is always the case for an analysis. The data is encoded in GRIB2 format (.grib2).
Note that a second variable is also included in this file and it is the confidence index for the analysis (CFIA).
List of variables
- APCP : Total precipitation amount analysis over a 6 or 24 hours period (mm)
- CFIA : Confidence Index of the Analysis. Range of values from 0 to 1 (no unit)
About the No-data mask
A mask called "No-data" has been added to our GRIB2 encoding process in order to better represent the areas where data are unavailable. This mask only concerns a few grid points with no data, always the same ones, located at the edge of the domain. Note that this mask has no negative effect on the product quality.
If you have any questions about this data, please contact us at: email@example.com
Announcements from the dd_info mailing list
Announcements related to this dataset are available in the dd_info list.